Mercedes Benz is one of the most iconic automobile brands. The German automaker is synonymous with high-end sports cars, SUVs, sedans, trucks, and other automobiles. Over the years, Mercedes Benz has strengthened its stranglehold on the luxury car market by producing models that blend speed, luxury, and state-of-the-art technology. Here are six of the most expensive Mercedes Benz cars in the world.
1. 1954 Mercedes-Benz W196 – $29.65 millionDescribed as the symbol of culture, the 1954 Mercedes-Benz W196 has an unparalleled reputation backed by outstanding performance. It is the most expensive Mercedes Benz car of all time. The 1954 W196 is a blend of elegance and subtle masculinity and was designed as a Formula One car. Only fourteen of them were built. The 1954 Mercedes-Benz W196 was the first car to use desmodromic valves and a direct fuel injection system. It featured a tubular, lightweight, but stiff space frame that was intended to increase the vehicle's polar moment of inertia. Mercedes used a 2.5-liter inline eight-engine that had the same technology as the legendary Messerschmitt 109 planes that were used during WW2. The fact that only ten 1954 Mercedes-Benz W196s still exist today attests to the car's rarity.
2. 2011 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 999 Red Gold Dream – $10 millionJust like the name suggests, this car is based on the Mercedes McLaren SLR. Just like the name suggests, the car's body features 25 layers of red paint and 5 kg of gold dust, which give it an exquisite look. Its headlights, wheels, and door sills are covered in 24-carat gold. The car's interior also features bejeweled indicators, gold-trimmed interiors and seat covers, and switchgear covered in rubies. To ensure that the car delivers a performance worthy of its looks, the power of its standard production version's 5.4-liter engine with 640bhp got boosted to 999bhp. Consequently, top speed increased to 210 mph. The 2011 Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren 999 Red Gold Dream can accelerate from 0-62 mph in 3 seconds. The $10 million selling price sounds like a bargain considering the impressive performance specs and numbers that you get from this Merc.
3. Maybach Exelero – $10 millionLike many high-end Mercedes Benz cars, the Maybach Exelero was a one-off production, something that guarantees it a spot on this list. The vehicle was commissioned by Fulda, the German division of Goodyear. The Exelero was announced in 2004, and its design based on Maybach. It comes with a twin-turbo V12 engine that outputs 690 horsepower and 752 pound-feet of torque. This performance car gives you a top speed of 218 miles per hour. The most outstanding features on the Exelero's exterior is its 23-inch wheels and Fulda Carat Exeleros tires. The brakes feature vented discs both at the front and rear. Likewise, the car comes with ABS and thus has optimum stopping power. Glossy black carbon fiber, neoprene, red and dark leather, and aluminum accents are the primary materials used in the car's interior to give it an elegant look. The Exelero is also equipped with sports seats that feature red harness-style seatbelts.
4. Mercedes Benz CLK GTR AMG Super Sport – $3.3 millionThis car was designed and built by HWA, a specialist division of AMG. Only two got built, and just one of them was badged as a "Super Sport." The CLK GTR AMG SuperSport comes with a massive 7.3-liter engine that also powers the SL 73 AMG and the Pagani Zonda. It has a racing car feel, which is not only attested to by the sporty design but also the 6-speed paddle-shift gearbox. The 7.3-liter is capable of outputting a massive 604bhp and can get you from 0 to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds. The CLK GTR AMG SuperSport has a top speed of 214mph.
5. 1999 Mercedes Benz Vision SLR Concept – $3 million
The 1999 Vision SLR Concept is a collaboration between McLaren and DaimlerChrysler. It has a remarkable bodywork design that makes it one of the most exquisite sports cars to be ever produced. Mercedes Benz Vision SLR Concept's design borrows styling themes from the legendary SLR sports cars of the '50s and the Silver Arrow F1 race cars. The car has been lauded as the embodiment of innovation, design, and performance in the automobile industry. It comes with a 5-speed automatic transmission system and a supercharged V8 engine that outputs 415.4 kW / 557.1 bhp @ 6500 rpm and 720.0 nm / 531.0 ft-lbs torque. The 1999 Mercedes Benz Vision SLR Concept car has a top speed of 198.0 mph and can accelerate from 0 – 60 mph in 4.2 seconds, something that attests to its superior performance.
6. 2008 SLR McLaren Mansory Renovatio – $1.5 million
Mercedes Benz SLRs are known for their sporty looks and super-fast performance. The most standout car model in the SLR range is the 2008 Mansory Renovatio, which was inaugurated during the 2008 Geneva Auto Salon. This car is a modified version of the 2008 SLR McLaren. The modification included the replacement of existing components with high performance, tailor-made parts. The car's body components are also made from carbon to ensure aerodynamic and design efficiency. As a result, the 2008 SLR McLaren Mansory Renovatio is not only faster but also lighter than it's the regular production version. Mansory also gave the Renovation a full facelift, a luxurious interior, and a set of ultra-light forged wheels. Under the hood, the 5.5-liter V8 engine of the regular production version of the car underwent performance upgrades, which entailed the addition of a modified engine management system and a sports air filter. These modifications give the Renovatio a top speed of 340kph as well as 880 Nm torque and 700 PS. This impressive sports car can be yours for $1.5 million. Mercedes Benz is known for producing compelling and robust supercars. However rugged your Merc is, it still needs some tender, loving care. If you are a Merc owner, keep your vehicle's underside free of scrapes by installing the Sliplo Universal Bumper Skid Plate and Scrape Guard. This high-grade armor will keep your car looking great for years to come.